- Use good quality storage boxes to ensure the durability needed when moving.
- Label or number boxes for easy reference.
- Create an inventory of your stored items.
- Fill boxes to capacity, half full boxes may tip or collapse if stacked.
- Heavy items should be packed into small boxes (remember you have to lift them!!).
- Protect your fragile items in protective packaging such as bubble wrap.
- If you are storing clothes use wardrobe boxes with hangers as this helps to keep their shape whilst in storage.
- Place protective covers over your soft furnishings.
- Do not place heavy items on mattresses or sofas.
- Leave the doors of refrigerators or freezers slightly ajar to prevent the build up of mould.
- Stack chairs seat to seat with a cloth or paper to separate them.
- Ensure all of your FUEL FILLED ITEMS are emptied prior to your arrival.
- Un-plumb and drain washing machines & dishwashers.
- Empty and drain irons, fryers, tea/coffee makers.
- Plan your storage space:-
- Place your heavy or bulky items in the store first.
- Stack similar size boxes together.
- Ensure that items or documents your may need to gain access to are placed in last and close to the door.